Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

MONSTERS VISIT THE VALLEY:A Tolerance Story


When I was a child, I watched an episode in The Twilight Zone which stuck in my mind. The story took place in another world. Some surgeons were operating on a patient, trying to fix his or her face to make the person look normal. I can't remember exactly how the story proceeded...however, the patient had a face that looked normal to us and the surgeons had faces we would consider distorted. In teaching tolerance to children, I feel it is important to understand that people have different customs--they may look different...and perhaps, what is strange to us is not strange to them. To illustrate this point, I wrote The Willy-Silly Series. I wrote another picture book called Monsters Visit the Valley in which some three-legged green people are terrified when visited by "monsters"--turns out, they are people who look like us earthlings. They learn a lesson from the only person in their village who is different--Zenniker Zoo, who is blue.
.

CLICK TO READ THE STORY


Back to the blog HOMEPAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment