Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011


BLOG INTRODUCTION

This blog is now entirely devoted to the stories that I've written. The stories are mostly picture books for children.
I have my stories posted on my website, but this blog gives you easy access.

STORIES ON YOUTUBE

I would like to invite you to click each title below for individual stories as posted on this blog...


The Little Red Hen


a new version in rhyme of this old English folktale--click below to hear and see the story narrated by storyteller,
Josh Katzman on youtube, or click on the title above to read the story yourself.


THE STORY-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNft2M-P6aQ&feature=related
THE SONG AS A SING-A-LONG
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrS9eFnyNmc&feature=related 


In storybook form:
_______________________________


Buana Kifaru's Big Foot

Silly Buana Kifaru--thinks that only big animals are worth
his time. He soon learns an important lesson when a small animal
is the only one who can help him.

Now on youtube:



THE STORY:
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRs3b5bFHgQ





In book form:
http://suziejean.com/kifaru/kifaru.cover.html



 ___________________________________________________________
One Hill is Enough

a story which illustrates the concept, "if you don't have what
you want, try to want what you have." It also urges people to think

carefully and make up your mind... and stick to the decision carefully
thought out.

NOW ON YOUTUBE

THE STORY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH0fd8jCq9M 



THE SONG,  as a sing-a-long
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LbAgACwqPQ&feature=relmfu



THE BILLY GOAT ROCK...
improvisation by Bernie Kaztman--animated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJE-nX-t9s4&feature=related 


                                       
Story in written form
http://suziejean.com/One.Hill.2./cover.html

_____________________________________


Monsters Visit the Valley
a tolerance story







Now on Youtube 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmi3MDMACGA&feature=plcp
 

The Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppxPJlccwIs&feature=relmfu

                                                                            *
 BUANA SIMBA'S PRIDE


Story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vk0HG9DsWg&feature=plcp 

story in written form
http://suziejean.com/simba.2./simba.cover.html



STORIES TEXTS
______________________________________________________

Pat's Cat, Cat's Pat
a beginner reader story about a child and her pet

(Note: you can also scroll down on this home page for more information about this story)

Long-Bearded Bill 


This is the story of a man who lived by himself on a mountain side. He is a kindly man, but no one knows it, because know one knows him. They avoid him because they think he is weird. Then an event takes place which changes everything. This is a story about acceptance, based on the idiom.."don't judge a book by its cover."(Note: you can also scroll down on this home page for more information about this story)

The Willy-Silly Series
a series of 10 nonsense stories with lovable characters

The Queendom of Dzitzelfor adults-- personality essays



Early Every Morning ( A Singing Story)a story featuring the days of the week

Tattle-Tale-Tillie

a story about tattling

Yosef's Blanket

a problem solving story set in Eastern Europe prior to World War II, for children and adults, including many Yiddish words

Oh Riddle, Oh Rattle, We're Done
a counting, color story

Mable Francis Fungus
a fantasy trip of a child and her grandmother

Timmy Tumble Triddlesby

a fantasy encounter between a boy, a cow and a toad


Bungle Maurice, Don't Call the Police
a story about being self-reliant

Old Man Oak

a story about recognizing one's own self-worth

Buana Simba's Pride
a retelling of an East African folktale, this story is about the
silly boasting pride of a lion. (Note: this is not the group of
lions called 'a pride of lions.'

My House is Crowded Wall to Wall
A retelling of an Eastern European folktale              POEMS/JINGLES

I also wrote long poems that tell a story.

Dora Drinks Pickle Potion
click
a story about recognizing one's own self-worth This is a story/poem about being your own person, marching to your own drumbeat-
Cats and Lawmakers
Click
a story about the need to listen to what others are saying in order to communicate properly--

Harvey Van Shrout
Click
a story about recycling, and having respect for all things-


A Few Feuds
Click
a story about the futility of conflict, especially war.


Not Quite Allergic to Arpegios, 1
click


Not Quite Allergic to Arpegios, 2
The Vacuum Cleaner Solution
click


a story and a sequel about the relationship between a mother and her son




I Know That I Know About Everyone--NOT
click

a story that teaches us , as the saying goes, not to "judge a book by it's cover"

HOW I GOT STARTED

I have been a librarian in a Day Elementary school for over 27 years. I specialize in early childhood education. I got to know the children really well...in terms of what they like, how they react...etc. For most of that time, I never thought of writing books for them.In the autumn of 2002 I was cleaning out my closet. I found a story book that I made with my daughter when she was in kindergarten. The story, called PAT'S CAT, is written on a first grade level. My daughter illustrated the story. That gave me an idea... I am a librarian in a private elementary school. I thought I might reproduce this story for our first grade--and I did. I renamed the story PAT'S CAT AND CAT'S PAT.


The story tells of a child and her pet cat who love each other. The story is written on two levels: Click here for the easiest version: Let's Get Going Level Click here for the level 1 version Click here for more information about emergent (beginner) stories and how to create them I then went on to write several more of these emergent reader stories on various levels.
The story tells of a child and her pet cat who love each other. The story is written on two levels:

Click here for the easiest version: Let's Get Going Level


Click here for the level 1 version


Click here for more information about emergent (beginner) stories and how to create them

I went on to write several more of these emergent reader stories on various levels



Then-- something wonderful and rather weird happened. One day in the middle of February I was ready to go to work. I had my coat on, and was carrying my bag. All of a sudden I had an inspiration for a story-- and I thought to make it a rhyming story. It seemed so strange because I never thought of writing in rhyme before. I took off my coat and went to the computer. I began the story and finished it in school.

The story:
LONG-BEARDED BILL (click title or the picture for the story)

This is the story of a man who lived by himself on a mountain side. He is a kindly man, but no one knows it, because know one knows him. They avoid him because they think he is weird. Then an event takes place which changes
everything.

I wrote many rhyming stories, as well as stories in prose.

click here for general menu on my website



No comments:

Post a Comment